- Before a key change
- During an overall change of style; or before a chorus or bridge
- Before changing the time signature mid-line. If the change occurs mid-measure, a dotted double bar is used; see image.
- Before a tempo or Tempo I
- Sometimes occurs with the repeat commands dal segno (D.S.) or da capo (D.C.)
If the command fine is found in the middle of a composition, it will be accompanied by a final barline (in which case the song’s very last measure ends with a double barline); fine mid-measure is seen with a dotted double barline.► Learn More About Constructing a Musical Staff
See single barline and repeat bar.
- double bar
- doppia stanghetta / barra / linea (It)
- double barre de mesure / barre de séparation (Fr)
- Doppeltaktstrich; Doppelstrich; doppelter Taktstrich (Ger)